Lakeland Airport's Control Tower will operate 6:00 AM to 10:00 PM.
However, the airport is closed after 8 pm. EDT.
The field is also closed during the daily airshow (2:00 PM-6:00 PM).
Check Graphic NOTAMS and AIM for air traffic information and procedures. Tune to ATIS frequency 118.025 upon arrival for update.
Aircraft Fuel and Petroleum Safety Tips
The Federal Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has established stringent regulations for the routine handling, disposal and/or accidental release (spills) of aircraft fuel and other petroleum based products – complete with significant fines/penalties for non-compliance.
As Sun ‘n Fun’s compliance partner, A-C-T Environmental & Infrastructure’s trained personnel are on site and ready to mobilize should there be a fuel or other contaminant release. In this official role, A-C-T will work, cooperatively, with aircraft owners, local first responder agencies, SUN ‘n FUN and the various regulatory agencies to ensure safety and compliance with all environmental and health regulations.
IT IS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT TO NOTE THAT...aircraft owners are financially responsible (and will be billed) for any environmental issues created by their aircraft. This includes accidental spills regardless of the cause [e.g. owner or operator negligence, vandalism, act of nature (tornado), etc.]
To ensure that you have the best possible SUN ‘n FUN experience, A-C-T offers these safety tips and best practices to prevent accidental spills and minimize financial obligation:
1. Secure (tie down) aircraft in anticipation of adverse weather including strong gusting winds.
2. Make sure aircraft is on level ground. If not, adjust fuel levels or plug fuel tank vents to prevent leaks.
3. Be careful when fueling aircraft. Over-fueling often causes fuel to run onto the ground and accumulations equate to contamination.
4. When checking aircraft fuel levels, do not dump sumped fuel on the ground.
5. Place pans under any leaking fuel or oil from aircraft.
6. Properly dispose of surplus fuels (sumped fuel and/or fuel collected from leaks)
7. If a spill occurs, REPORT IT IMMEDIATELY to a SUN 'n FUN volunteer. This is critically important because trained environmental emergency responders can minimize negative impacts with early intervention!
Remember, A-C-T stands ready to be your compliance partner. You can reach us 24/7 by calling 800.226.0911. To learn more about A-C-T’s expertise and capabilities, see www.A-C-T.com . We’re here to help make your 2015 SUN ‘n FUN experience enjoyable from beginning to end. Happy take-offs and landings!